30 July, 2006

Ceres, Celestial Legend/ Ayashi no Ceres



"On the eve of her 16th birthday, Aya stumbles upon a secret that her family has kept hidden for years and learns her young life is anything but ordinary. First, she discovers that she's actually a reincarnated celestial maiden who, if pushed, can transform back to her original form. But what she finds out next is even more unbelievable: Her wealthy family wants to kill her."

This brief netflix description was enough to catch my attention, but it doesn't do this anime justice. Aya and her twin brother Aki are put through a ritual, in which the blood of their divine ancestor, Ceres, emerges in Aya, and wounds like the ones Ceres gave to the one who forced her to become his wife appeared on Aki.

The family then attempts to kill Aya, and when her father refuses to harm her, he is killed by his own father. It is then that Ceres, whose spirit resides in Aya, destroys the building and escapes. Toya, a man who saved Aya from being run over, shows up again and speaks to her.

Elsewhere, a woman name Suzumi senses Aya's danger and, along with the random mrs. Q and her brother-in-law Yuuhi rushes to her aid. They show up and take her to their home, where they tell her about her powers.

The whole underlying story is an old legend "One day an angel took off her gossamer robe and was bathing. A man stole away her robe, so the angel (Ceres) could not return to heaven. She was stranded, and forced to become his wife and bear him a child. Aya, Aki, and the whole Mikage (Me-ka-gay) family are descended from that angel. A more accurate translation of the story is available here.

Just as Ceres lives inside Aya, the male ancestor emerges in Aki. He takes over Aki and goes after Aya, constantly asking "Where is my woman?"

Toya and Aya meanwhile, encounter each other repeatedly, and instantly fall in love. Toya has no memory of his past, and the names "Toya" and "Mikage" are the only things he remembers. Toya means "ten nights". Toya has a dagger that mysteriously appears out of his wrist when he fights.

Yuuhi also falls in love with Aya, and she loves him back, just not the way she loves Toya.

The Mikage are working on a project called "c-genome" where they track down descendants of angels from all of the different descendants of the angels from the various versions of the legend and cause all sorts of trouble.

The whole story is incredibly sad, but not sad in a way that gets tiresome. The idea of several guys that all fall in love with Aya/Ceres can seem like the usual unrealistic sort of plot-line, but in this case, it is unique and not tiresome in the least. The story has just enough comic relief so that the terribly sad story doesn't become overwhelming.

As soon as I laid eyes on Aya, I decided she was one of the most beautifully drawn anime girls I've ever seen. Almost all of the characters are very well drawn. Beautiful, but not in the common anime tradition of making them unrealistically beautiful.

I have fallen in love with the opening song, Scarlet by Junko Iwao. It can be viewed below... that is, if it will load.



This is Aya and Toya.

14 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

Came visiting to see if you had posted something about the anime fest; instead I find another to add to the list of things I'd like to see!

At least now I know how you are finding some of these! Looking at Hollywood Video isn't doing me a lot of good for series, anyway, though they're pretty good with features.

Glad to have you posting again!

alan

11:01 PM  
Blogger the bright one said...

anime fest?

I watched the end of the series last night, and it was good, but sort of depressing...

11:53 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Forgive me if the work hours, gym hours and a bit of senility are all catching up with me; for some reason I thought you went to an anime fest right after summer break started...

I gotta start getting more sleep!

alan

10:08 PM  
Blogger the bright one said...

Oh, that. Well I did go, right at the end of June.

6:32 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Was there anything that took your fancy, or...?

alan

10:39 AM  
Blogger the bright one said...

like what?

11:22 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Movies, video? There used to be an animation fest here, but I didn't hear about "Spike and Mike's" until the last year it ran, and it conflicted with work, of course, since I work 2nd shift. Never having been, I was curious...sorry!

11:40 AM  
Blogger the bright one said...

Why are you sorry silly?

We got some autographs, we went to the Crispin Freeman (our favorite voice actor) panel and found out about the Hellsing OVA, bought a few things, etc..

I found out about a few shows that seem popular, like Tsubasa and MAR, and all sorts of things. It was very fun!

12:38 PM  
Blogger alan said...

"Brick" came out on DVD this week, I really wanted to see it in the theatre but it was only here at the "art house" for one week. Hoping to rent it this weekend; did you happen to see it? I love the concept...

alan

7:17 AM  
Blogger the bright one said...

No, I never saw it. I was interested though, it was just so strange...

7:19 AM  
Blogger alan said...

I did rent and watch "Brick" Saturday evening. Very impressed with the movie, though the soundtrack screwed with my old ears a bit and I ended up turning on the sub-titles and backing it up more than once to catch lines of dialog. Very well done, I thought. It made me start looking for a copy of "The Maltese Falcon", though I don't have time to sit down and watch it right away, anyway. Very much in the manner of Hammet and Chandler, yet with a lot of modern twists and dialog, really well written.

Not to drag you into ancient history, but have you ever seen "The Maltese Falcon"?

alan

11:52 PM  
Blogger the bright one said...

I've never even heard of it.

Question. As far as you could tell, did the subtitles match the speech?

In most anime/dubs, subtitles are different from the English dialogue.

7:11 AM  
Blogger alan said...

This wasn't an anime, it was an American "art house" movie with the kid from 3rd Rock in the lead. I have even seen spoken English movies where the titles didn't match, and you are right about anime or foreign ones, the titles don't match the dubbing a lot of the time. One of the worst I ever saw was a Jean Reno movie "Wasabi". I was about 10 minutes in when I switched it to French and left the titles on because it wasn't nearly as jarring as hearing them say one thing and reading another!

Ask your Mom about "the black bird" and Sam Spade...?

alan

11:32 AM  
Blogger the bright one said...

There are definitely some bad ones out there...

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home